Monday, June 11, 2007

Canneles - A Crazy Confection!

Last week I visited my favorite cafe in Pasadena, EuroPane. As I ordered my usual chicken salad sandwich, I (of course) couldn't help myself from eying the desserts...I noticed a familiar treat, canneles, that I've been wanting to try but haven't seen at any of the other bakeries I've recently visited. I first saw a picture of canneles in the new cookbook I purchased and have been thinking about making EXCEPT you need to purchase these crazy pans and find some beeswax, which intrigued me even more. Once I bit into these scrumptious tiny things, I was in love. Heaven for me really. They are crisp on the outside, from the beeswax and no they don't taste waxy at all...the middle contains a fluffy custard, with an almost cake-like consistency but softer. Sort of like a custard cloud? Okay, I can't find the words but they are phenomenal! One day soon I will find these ridiculously priced pans (perhaps I need to go back to France?) and beeswax. Will keep you all updated, but in the meantime try to find some and enjoy!

No comments: