Saturday, January 20, 2007

Happy New Year!

I'm bringing SHEEPY BACK and am truly looking forward to 2007! But sadly, my cake decorating class is coming to an end. I was unsure of how I felt about the class at first (mostly because I struggled so much) but have come to enjoy this new hobby and am excited about challenging myself to see what else I can create. I think I've been watching too many episodes of Ace of Cakes (I love that show! Thanks for the tip Julie). As I got fired up, I decided to made a buttermilk cake, filled with chocolate custard and frosted with Italian Buttercream. I had enough cake for a big 6" and two 3" cakes (although i had no one to eat them). Throughout this course I've developed a whole new appreciation for cake but I struggle with the fact that pastry chefs spends hours, sometimes days working on a piece of art only to be destroyed and eaten. Hmmmm. I guess I just need to let go and enjoy both the beauty and taste. I absolutely love creating cakes, eating them too, but mostly I just enjoy creating them. In fact I'm staying up way past my bedtime tonight to not only write this post but was working on gumpaste adornments for my final cake tomorrow. Who knew gumpaste birds could be so cute? I think a sheep cake may be in the near future...

No comments: