Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Red Ochre

We were enjoying a few beers at the local pub and the bartender suggested that we go to the Red Ochre Grill to try some real Australian mean (aka roos, emus and crocs). The thought of it made me naueous, these are afterall some of my friends. However, Monte and Miki were up for the adventure so I agreed to tag along. We couldn't even get a table without a reservation (which is odd in Carins because everything is pretty low-key unlike LA LA land), so we made a reservation for a couple nights later. We were looking forward to it since they had awards prominently displayed and it was always a full house. Ha! This place is sneaky-sneaky! We were sadly disappointed in our experience. Monte and Miki shared some craziness - emu pate, crocodile wontons and kangaroo with horseradish. I only wish I had a picture of their faces once they started chewing! Anyway, our suggestion is to stay with the norm. I devoured my 3 tiny pieces of salmon and udon noodles which actually wasn't bad (except of the exaggerated price). Basically, it was a lot of overpriced fou-fou strangeness. We were all still hungry and were contemplating McDonald's on the way back to the hotel (if that says anything), instead we got cheap massages from the Chinese at the night market.

Red Ochre Grill,
43 Shields Street,Cairns,
North QLD

No comments: