Sunday, August 12, 2007

August Birthdays

When I think of August I think of Birthday season. With that said, a quick shout out to Lauren (August 4th), Monte and Lynn (August 6th)! Happy Birthday to all! We celebrated Monte's birthday this year at the old school (think Korean style Denny's), Dong Il Jang. The waitresses are decked out in awesome brown and white uniforms, there are booths for families, a big party room where you sit on the floor and even a little koi pond to greet you at the entrence. The tables have built-in bbq grills and service tends to be fast and furious. We discovered this restaurant about a month ago, and I read that if you get the Roast Gui you get the "leftover" kim chee fried rice. I've been there several times but we always ordered the Bulgogi instead. Since we had a big party this time, I FINALLY got to order the Roast Gui. And unfortunately, I'd recommend sticking to the Bulgogi. The Roast Gui isn't marinated and the meat is a little tougher. And although the fried rice at the end was tasty, it wasn't worth giving up the thin slices of marinated beef that melts in your mouth. We also ordered the Kalbi and pork which were both hits. As you'll see Baby Noah graced us with his presence and he obviously did NOT take a liking to me. Sad day. Don't worry Noah, you'll learn to love me!

Dong Il Jang Restaurant
3455 W 8TH St
Los Angeles, CA 90005-2517

No comments: